Practical Steps to Black Mold Removal

We will give you some advice on black mold removal. Molds grow anywhere – from bread to damp walls.  Aside from being disgusting and unsightly, some kinds of molds are actually poisonous and can cause health problems to people exposed to them.  Yes, it doesn’t even require for people to ingest some types of molds to make them sick.  Mere exposure to some kinds of black mold like Stachybotrys and Memnoniella may already result in a potential exposure hazard.  These black mold, Stachybotrys and Memnoniella often grow in surfaces that have cellulose and are constantly wetted. Thus, these dangerous black molds can be seen in cardboard, wood, ceiling tile and cellulose insulation.

Toxic black molds like Stachybotrys and Memnoniella Chartarum can grow anywhere in the world.  People who are chronically exposed to the toxin created by this mold experience symptoms of cold and flu, as well as sore throats, headache, diarrhea, fatigue, dermatitis, hair loss, and decreased brain function.  The mold’s toxins also restrain the immune system which affects functions of the bone marrow and lymphoid tissue. Other effects of toxin absorption coming from these black molds include pneumomycosis and cancers in the lungs and kidney.

There may also be black mold growths in shower stalls, shower curtains and bath tubs.  However, because these places do not contain cellulose, these molds are not toxic.  Molds that grow on these places feed on films of soap that steadily build up there.  Molds such as Cladosporium, Ulocladium, Stemphylium, Pithomyces, Alternaria, Dresclera, and Aureobasium are not known to contain or produce toxins, but people who are constantly exposed to them can develop allergic reactions which in turn, can cause other health problems.

Non-toxic black mold removal is not that difficult to conduct.  Getting rid of black mold infestations would depend on what type of infestation is present, how big the infestation is and the location. Black mold that grows on bathrooms, usually on ceilings, walls, tiles, tubs and curtains can be cleaned with the use of a bleach solution of 1 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water mixed with detergent.  After being thoroughly dried, the ceilings and walls (or at least the ones without tiles) can be treated to a fresh coat of paint.  This is because the black pigment may not be removed by the bleach and detergent solution even though the presence of molds can be removed.

It is essential for cleaned surfaces to be devoid of all humidity and moisture so as not to let black mold recur.  Other more advanced methods of black mold removal can be done like ozone.  What is important for people to remember if they opt to remove black molds by themselves is to always wear protective gear like gloves and masks.  One should never handle molds with his or her bare hands.  Doing so is dangerous, as molds, whether toxic or not, always pose a health risk.  Remember, there is no such thing as a harmless type of mold.

On the other hand, toxic black mold removal needs more caution to conduct.  Black mold growing on surfaces that contain cellulose is most likely toxic.  Anyone trying to remove this kind of mold must first take a sample of the mold and let it be analyzed by a microbiological laboratory. Moreover, one can also do the testing of black molds.  There are DIY black mold testing kits available wherein a person can determine the toxicity levels of black mold by himself or herself.