It’s disturbing that there is a high amount of black mold health issues nowadays. Black mold, known as Stachybotrys Chartarum is a greenish-black fungus that grows and reproduces in a highly cellulose materials and low nitrogen content such as wood, wicker, hay, cardboard and paper.
Black molds grow where there is a good amount of moisture such as in areas that have plumbing failures, conductive condensation, house water leaks and natural occurrences that causes water to pool. When the mold dies and dries, its spores are spread through air. Exposure to molds can happen in varying ways and includes dermal contact, ingestion, and inhalation.
Some of the black mold health issues that people suffer from are allergy, mycotoxin toxicity, and invasive diseases. Allergy is one of the health issues we face today regarding mold infection. This includes runny noses, itchy-watery eyes, coughing, sneezing, throat infection, sinusitis, and asthma. So if there are people in your family who are suffering from these symptoms, it might be good to look for black mold in your home.
Mycotoxins are cytotoxic and are capable of passing through a human cellular wall and disrupting certain cellular processes. It is also secondary metabolites which are produced by fungi and capable of causing death and disease in animals and humans. There are two kinds of fungi: Primary and opportunistic pathogens. Primary pathogens affect healthy individuals with normal immune system; while opportunistic pathogens affect weak or immune compromised hosts.
Invasive disease is a very uncommon disease but it affects those people with abnormally functioning immune systems like those who are undergoing transplant or chemotherapy. Molds also produce VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) during the process of degrading substances to obtain nutrition. Studies also show that relative leukemia and lymphoma can increase through prolonged exposure of VOCs in the indoor environment. This result is caused by poor ventilation at homes or offices.
A family in Austin, Texas had a very serious implication with black molds in their house. Apparently, there was a water leak in their bathroom and the black mold grew and the toxin spread all throughout the house—from the floor to the air-conditioning unit. The four-year old kid was first contaminated; he was coughing up blood. Soon after, the wife got sick and her husband. The husband developed memory loss and it affected his work and daily life.